2009-09-16

Once more unto the breach...

 
This picture is the last remaining evidence that I ever took algebra, or even existed before I do now. I'm not even sure if I was in the class mentioned on the whiteboard, but that's beside the point. To get to the point, a little background is necessary. 

After years of struggle and heartache, I scratched my way out of high school and found my way to college. Following a series of fortunate accidents, I'm now in the PhD program of the Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences department at the University of Michigan. Somewhere along the way, I developed a strange sense of civic responsibility. Further along the way, I noticed that virtually every problem I saw around me could be solved by improving public education. While not ready to give up my research yet, I decided to get involved in some way.

As a result, I became part of an outreach program run by the College of Engineering meant to drive interest and understanding of STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and math). I will be working with Molly Porter in two Algebra I classes for this coming year. My duties will primarily entail composing/giving presentations on the applications of STEM topics, putting together a field trip, and integrating problem solving techniques from Drexel's Math Forum. My first day in class will be this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment