2009-10-14

Animal Farm




References to the Russian revolution aside, a little over a week ago I did the Math Forum's Problem #5156 titled, Ostrich Llama Count. I've been remiss in my virtual live web blogging, so here is my belated account of how things went down.

As I described in Problems with Words, we began with Noticing and Wondering. I decided to continue my policy of writing everything down, with the sole exception of the student who wondered how large the ostriches' reproductive organs were. Sadly, that was one of the few suggestions for Wondering I got and we had to troop on (I'm all for suggestions on how to up the number of wonders). The students were more attentive through the beginning of the problem, and I felt like the stronger approach in teaching was producing results.

As we transitioned to solution strategies I had a last second realization that the algebra approach might be a bit of a reach as the concept of solving for a given variable hadn't been addressed in lecture yet. Several students successfully worked through the problem by using a table or by guessing and checking. For the remainder of the time I tried to explain how to substract the same number from both sides. As with last time, it was hard to tell how much the students actually understand. It also didn't help that I was using O as the variable for the number of ostriches.

No comments:

Post a Comment